What do you do when you have a ridiculous amount of fruit at your disposal and not enough hours in the day and days in the week to eat it all before it spoils?
You have to use them in baked goods! In this case, it was strawberry and white chocolate muffins.
Seriously, I somehow found myself with 4 punnets of strawberries, 4 punnets of blueberries and about 10 bananas. In a house of two humans, one of whom (*cough cough* me), doesn’t really enjoy eating fresh fruit.
These strawberry and white chocolate muffins don’t taste like regular cakey crumb muffins. They are a bit denser and kind of fudgy/mud cakey. Which I quite like. A crumbly muffin is hard to eat!
Feel free to substitute the strawberries for a different berry that might be in season or you picked up cheap. And of course, you can swap in your favourite type of chocolate if white chocolate is not your jam. Yes, baking is a science, but there are no rules that say you can’t make adjustments to suit your flavour preferences!
Fudgy and almost mud-cake-like, these strawberry and white chocolate muffins are a great way to use up an abundance of fruit.
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (240g) Greek yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup (80ml) light flavoured oil (I actually used extra virgin olive oil)
- 1½ cups (225g) fresh strawberries, chopped into chunks
- 200g white chocolate, chopped into rough chunks
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced (400°F). Line muffin tins with patty pans
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl
- Add the sugar and stir to combine
- Combine yoghurt, eggs and oil in a separate bowl and whisk together. Stir through the flour mixture until just combined.
- Carefully fold in the strawberries and chocolate and spoon into the lined muffin tins.
- Bake for 14 minutes (they are cooked when you insert a skewer and it comes out clean)
Tip: to help stop strawberries from sinking to the bottom, toss the chopped pieces through some flour before folding them into the muffin batter
Keywords: muffins, snacks