You know how they say be careful about what you put online because once you publish something on the internet it’s never going away?
I’m here to tell you that is not true.
Well, in the case of me trying to find my zucchini slice recipe that was published on my old website, it is not true. No amount of searching and hacking could uncover the recipe so that I could revive it here for you.
I was feeling a bit sad about this to be honest because that old blog post was my reference for making the recipe too!
Clearly, it was not an unhappy ending as you are here reading a post with a recipe for zucchini and bacon slice! It was my old school recipe folder that saved the day. In it I found, a typed-out copy of a zucchini slice recipe. I’m not sure where it came from, and it is not MY version, but it was a starting place to re-create the version that you will find below.
Personally, I love making a zucchini slice with bacon, but to make this a vegetarian zucchini slice, just omit the bacon. You could even just throw the raw onion into the rest of the mix and skip the frying step, but I prefer to know that the onion will be nice and soft once baked.
A classic recipe: zucchini slice with bacon. Make ahead for ready-to-eat lunches.
1 brown onion, diced
200g bacon, diced
3 medium zucchinis, grated
2 medium carrots, grated
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup grated tasty cheese
½ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C fan-forced (400°F). Line a 20cm x 10cm baking pan with baking paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Heat a medium frypan over high heat. Add diced bacon and fry for 30 seconds to a minute. Turn the heat down to medium, add the onion and fry together with the bacon until the onion slightly softens. You want the onion to remain translucent, rather than brown. Set aside to cool slightly as you prepare the rest of the mixture.
- In a large bowl, add grated zucchini, grated carrot, self-raising flour, grated tasty cheese, olive oil, eggs, the cooked bacon and onion and mix thoroughly to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix again.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the slice is set and evenly golden. Slice into 6 or 8 pieces and serve while hot.
Omit bacon to make this zucchini slice vegetarian
Slice into smaller pieces for snacks or entertaining
Can be eaten hot or cold
Keywords: vegetable slice, lunch recipes, freezer meals
Zucchini Slice with Bacon Q&A
Can zucchini slice be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze zucchini slice. It freezes really well. Allow to cool slightly before wrapping each piece tightly in foil and freezing separately.
Reheating in the microwave is fine, but if you have the time, reheating in the oven is great too. Or you can thaw until it reaches room temperature – zucchini slice can be eaten hot or cold.
What goes with zucchini slice?
You can eat this slice on its own, just cut your pieces in sizes according to your appetite! However, a crisp garden salad always goes well with a piece of zucchini and bacon slice.