A classic recipe: zucchini slice with bacon. Make ahead for ready-to-eat lunches.
1 brown onion, diced
200g bacon, diced
3 medium zucchinis, grated
2 medium carrots, grated
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup grated tasty cheese
½ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C fan-forced (400°F). Line a 20cm x 10cm baking pan with baking paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Heat a medium frypan over high heat. Add diced bacon and fry for 30 seconds to a minute. Turn the heat down to medium, add the onion and fry together with the bacon until the onion slightly softens. You want the onion to remain translucent, rather than brown. Set aside to cool slightly as you prepare the rest of the mixture.
- In a large bowl, add grated zucchini, grated carrot, self-raising flour, grated tasty cheese, olive oil, eggs, the cooked bacon and onion and mix thoroughly to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix again.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared baking tray and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the slice is set and evenly golden. Slice into 6 or 8 pieces and serve while hot.
Omit bacon to make this zucchini slice vegetarian
Slice into smaller pieces for snacks or entertaining
Can be eaten hot or cold
Keywords: vegetable slice, lunch recipes, freezer meals