I love beautifully decorated Christmas cookies.
Wait, let me re-phrase that. I love the IDEA of beautifully decorated Christmas cookies.
But making them myself? Not so much.
I have made them in the past, but after the amount of time it takes to make and bake the actual cookies, I kinda ran out of steam when it came time to decorate them. And I had a mishap with the icing that had me finding lumps of it under the couch weeks later.
So….yeah decorated Christmas cookies and I don’t mix particularly well.
My compromise is these sugar crunch cookies. They are simple, light and buttery with a sweetness, crunch and sparkle from a generous sprinkle of raw sugar for decoration instead of intricate piped icing. Much more my style!
And because they make a BIG batch, you will have foodie gifts and your contribution to the Christmas table ready to go.
Set aside an afternoon to make these Christmas Sugar Crunch Cookies. Super simple, light, buttery and perfect for Christmas foodie gifts.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 225g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature for around 30 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg (large)
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla essence
- Raw sugar for decorating
- Sift together flour and salt in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar using an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla essence
- Reduce to a low speed and add flour, beating until combined
- Split the dough into two or three pieces and roll into balls. Cover each ball in cling wrap and then press down on the balls with your hand to form a flat-ish disc. Chill each disc for 45 minutes
- Pre-heat oven to 140°C (fan-forced)
- This next step is really going to depend on how warm the day is when you are baking. Remove one disc from the refrigerator and take it out of the cling wrap. Roll out the dough between two pieces of baking paper until the dough is about 0.5cm thick. If it is a warm day, place your rolled out dough on a board and back in the fridge for 10 minutes to chill again. If it is a cooler day, move straight on to step 7
- Cut your shapes out of the dough and transfer to baking trays lined with baking paper. Sprinkle generously with raw sugar
- Place trays in the freezer for another 10 minutes to chill (this step will help stop the cookies from spreading in the oven)
- Bake for 13 minutes or until pale golden
- Cool on wire racks
- Repeat steps 6-9 until you use up all of your dough
- Serving Size: 0
- Calories: 0
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 0
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Christmas cookies, sugar cookies, Christmas cookies recipe
Originally published December 2015