Smashed avocado is so 2016. Smashed eggs on toast are where it’s at now. I have posted these babies on Instagram a few times now and it seems that you love eggs on toast just as much as I do.
It has become a fast favourite lunch option when I am working from home because there’s always eggs, bread and butter in my kitchen. I am pretty sure by now you know that ‘simple, and ‘quick’ are my essential key selection criteria when it comes to cooking!
I normally make a salad to go on the side if I am having them for lunch, but they would work on their own for breakfast.
I have suggested 1-2 pieces of toast per person in this recipe, but that is based purely on how hungry you are. Take a pause before you start preparing to check in with your hunger cues to guide you. Personally, I prefer a generous pile of smashed eggs on my toast, which is why I only have one piece shown in the photos.
Smashed avocado is so 2016. Smashed eggs on toast are where it’s at now.
2 eggs per person
1-2 slices bread per person
1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely chopped
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil
- Carefully add eggs and boil for 7-8 minutes (see note)
- While the eggs are boiling, put the bread on to toast and chop the chives
- Once the eggs are boiled, rinse under cold water and peel
- Add eggs to a bowl with the butter and chives. Used a fork to smash eggs up and mix everything together. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Divide smashed eggs between the pieces of toast and serve immediately
You may prefer soft boiled eggs, but for this recipe, they need to be well cooked, otherwise, the topping is too runny and just slides off the toast (I know this from experience!!)
Alternative option: Add a cube of Meredith Dairy Marinated Goats Cheese (or around 25g marinated goats cheese) per person instead of the butter and chives, when you are smashing the eggs in step 5 (here are some I prepared earlier!)
Keywords: quick breakfast, quick lunch, eggs on toast
what would you smash your eggs with?
Originally published March 2017.