Have a nut allergy but your recipe calls for a handful of nuts? A great alternative is crispy roasted chickpeas. They give the same crunch and ‘nutty’ flavour (minus the anaphylaxis!).
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Drain chickpeas and rinse under water then place on a paper towel and pat dry (no need to pick off the skins!)
- Place chickpeas on a tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle salt and shake tray to cover chickpeas evenly
- Place the tray in the oven and roast for 45-50 minutes, checking every now and again that the chickpeas are not burning (see note)
- Once cooled store in an airtight container. Will keep for a week (if they last that long!)
In order to get the chickpeas crunchy, they need to be thoroughly dried out in the oven. Therefore roasting times may vary depending on your oven.
Keywords: Nut free snack, crunchy snack, allergy friendly, roast chickpeas